Saturday, July 23, 2011

thINK for yourself



The word tattoo is derived from the Polynesian word, 'tatao', which literally means to tap or to mark someone. The word was coined by Captain James Cook in 1769.  He mused "The Universality of tattooing is a curious subject for speculation."  Indeed it is.  I'm not a fan of tattoos personally. I guess because A) I'm not a fan of pain,  B) because I know I'll age and/or my tastes will change and I'll be stuck with what I've engraved into my body and C) I have enough issues with what I see in the mirror every day, without some avatar sliding into a dark crease or newly created fold as the years progress.  I look around and I'm starting to think my husband and I are the minority, as we have zero body art and no plans to change that.  I  don't judge people that have elected to express their creativity in illustrated flesh, in fact I'm somewhat fascinated by the choices people make, and what you can learn about them as a result.  Below are some thought-provoking examples of INK I've come across recently.

Nikki Sixx's arm - Bamboo needles created this gal on an adventure to the Orient.


These twins were found on the arm of a twin sister, and are inspired by a painting her sister loves.


Father knows best. The arm of Intern Adam, part of the WRVW morning show here in Nashville.  The quote is from his father, and is done in his dad's handwriting too. 




 
There are those people, for each of us, who etch their personalities within us so strongly they leave an indelible mark on our lives, yet spend but a brief time in this world. Such is the case with Jim Edmond, son of my dear friend, who took his own life at 23.  Jim's best friend keeps his smiling countenance next to his heart, where he belongs.    
Thank you Tricia, for this photo.
Spirituality, family ties, a bond between this world and the next, the marking of experiences, hope, prayer, faith, love, quotes, lyrics, talismans; all are outward appearances of these individual's inward beliefs and personal encouragements.
Gloriana, at the CMA Music Festival remote.  Michael is on the left here. Notice the wording on his arm.


Michael, from the band Gloriana.  This is a prayer his grandmother gave him, in Latin.

Tony's Day of the Dead woman.  She represents his spiritual connections and family beliefs - the unity of the present generation and ancestors who have passed on. He is one of my grocery checkers at our local Walmart


Talented singer/songwriter Skylar Grey.  She penned "Love The Way You Lie" for Rhianna & Eminem.  Notice her tat peeking out from the left sleeve of her jacket.  A close-up is below.

She just rolls up her sleeves for a little inspiration.

Charles Kelly, from the trio Lady Antebellum is a guy after my heart, not only for his God-given singing voice, but because out of all the choices he had to engrave on his arm, he chose Lennon/McCartney lyrics from the song Blackbird.

New group, the Lunabelles, making their freshman rounds to radio during CMA Music Festival week.

"Broken angel you've gotta get up and earn your wings."



Keith Urban - Here you can see his wrist band, the Thunderbird on his forearm, and what looks to be something very interesting peeking out of his shirt, over his heart.  Wish I could give you the backstory on that one.
A close up of his intricate wrist band

This wouldn't be complete without sharing our daughter Miccah's artwork, a work in progress, just as she sees her life.  

The frog represents Miccah, the symbols within it stand for things she loves, like nature and the Earth.  The stars are a representation of her goals, both completed and incomplete.  And then, there are the waves.




The waves represent lifes trials and tribulations.  All the things that conspire against her in reaching her goals and dreams.  That sea can be pretty rough as evidenced by the size of the waves.  But this artwork is far from finished, and I look forward to watching life unfold, illustrated by Miccah.








My favorite tats are not the ones that people receive in a drunken stupor or on a dare, but the ones that tell the stories of their owner's lives, the ones that reflect the poignancy and delicacy of the soul within. Myself, I'm in line with Michael J. Fox's comment - "My tattoo is that I have no tattoo".  Regardless of your personal feelings about the art of body illustration one thing remains true - thINK before you INK.  Or as I often tease Miccah, that frog on your backside could wind up crawling out of your bum.

Thanks for hanging with me today.  I hope you enjoyed your time with defriezframe!











No comments:

Post a Comment